June 1, 2011

Banana Bundt Cake

My son loves bananas. He kind of goes through phases, but sometimes he’ll eat 1 maybe 2 whole bananas in a sitting.  I think he likes bananas more than any person I know. He’ll eat them so green that I can’t even barely peel them, and then my fingers have that nasty bitter taste on them.  So, I very rarely have bananas that get ripe enough to bake with.  But I think he forgot they were on the counter, or I forgot to offer them to him, because I had 3 bananas that were awesome for baking: lots of brown spots and WAY more ripe than I would eat.DSC_0039Good thing their so delicious in baked goods!  This is probably one of my husbands favorite cakes that I make.

Banana Bundt Cake adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book

2 eggs room temp

2 1/4 C all-purpose flour

1 1/2 C sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 C mashed RIPE bananas (about 3)

3/4 C buttermilk*

1/2 C (1 stick) butter, softened

1 tsp vanilla

*I rarely have buttermilk on hand, so instead, I make ‘sour milk.’ To make it, place 1 Tblsp white vinegar or lemon juice in a 1 C measuring cup.  Fill to the top with milk. Stir, and let sit for 5 minutes before using.

  • grease/flour a Bundt pan (or just use a spray with flour in it!!)
  • stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda
  • add bananas, buttermilk, butter and vanilla, beat on low to combine
  • add eggs, beat on medium for 2 minutes, then pour into pan
  • bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick poked in the middle comes out clean
  • let cool in pan on rack for ~10 minutes then flip out to cool

Cream Cheese Drizzle

2 oz cream cheese room temp

1 Tblsp butter room temp

3/4 C powdered sugar

~2 tsp cream

  • cream butter and cream cheese until combined
  • add powdered sugar, 1/4 C at a time, combining before next addition
  • add enough cream to make it a fairly runny consistency, so you can drizzle
  • put it in a ziplock bag with a corner cut off, and drizzle away!DSC_0035I drizzled it lopsided though: for more equal frosting to cake ratio, don’t drizzle it in so far into the middle, and be more generous on the outsideDSC_0042

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! Good thing that Titus missed those three bananas.

Carmen said...

haha I was going ask which son, but I should've known it was little Tito.

Anusha said...

The Premium Interior in chennai from venus space designs is really good for your dream home...