August 22, 2011

How to make “Buttermilk”

The only time I ever have real buttermilk in my house is when my husband isn’t traveling, and he feels like making some mean, from scratch, buttermilk pancakes.  Yeah, not so often.  But, I have some recipes that call for buttermilk, so…..  what’s a girl supposed to do? Make a special trip to the store for a quart of buttermilk only to use 1/2 C?  I don’t think so.  This is WAY easy, and you’ll never know the difference in your baked goods!  I got this tip from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, they call it sour milk.

Sour Milk (substitute for buttermilk)  makes 1 cupbuttermilk

1 Tblsp distilled white vinegar

almost 1 Cup milk

  • Pour 1 Tablespoon vinegar into a 1 Cup measurer.

  • Add enough milk to fill the cup measurer to the top.

  • Stir the mixture to combine, then let sit for 5 minutes before use.

  • Done.and.done.  Wasn’t that easy?

    If you don’t need a whole cup, just adjust the recipe:

    for 1/2 C, pour in 1/2 T vinegar, and fill to 1/2 C with milk.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    You should try powdered buttermilk. It is so easy to use and works great