September 14, 2011

Lemon Pies with Vanilla Wafer Crust

While I was shopping with my mom at Sprout’s one time, she directed me to their vanilla wafers, and told me how delicious they are.  and they were on sale.  So, of course, I bought myself a bag. 

These little cookies were delicious! But every time I ate one, I kept thinking how they needed something to go with them.  These cookies needed to compliment something else delicious.  I wanted to make them into a crust.  And then I figured it out.  Lemon.  Light, refreshing, summery lemon.  It was perfect.

DSC_0124

The sweet whipped cream, the tangy lemon pudding, and then the buttery, crunchy crust.  So good.

DSC_0106

Lemon Pie adapted from MADE Makes about 6 little pies or 1 normal size pie

Crust:

about 40 vanilla wafer cookies

2 Tblsp Butter, melted

Filling:

1 cup Sugar

3 Tbsp. Cornstarch

1/4 cup Butter, melted

1 Tbsp. Lemon Zest

1 cup Milk

1/4 cup fresh Lemon Juice

3 egg Yolks, slightly beaten

1/2 cup Sour Cream

  • Zest and juice lemons.
  • Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
  • Add remaining ingredients, except for the sour cream.
  • Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. (I know it’s kind of vague, but when it’s thickened, it won’t drip off the spoon, but more glop. If that makes it less vague….)
  • Remove from heat and let cool.  (I transferred it into a different bowl to help cool faster)
  • While it’s cooling, make the crust(s): crush vanilla wafers until desired size.  Add butter and stir to combine.  Divide evenly into serving dishes, and refrigerate (Put them in the fridge so that the crust gets nice and crunchy)
  • Once filling is cooled, stir in sour cream. Chill until ready to serve.
  • Spoon over the crust, and top with sweetened whipped cream

DSC_0118

No comments: