November 16, 2011

Pumpkin Roll

Oh pumpkin roll.  I love you.  Might just be my favorite pumpkin treats yet. 

DSC_0676

The morning after my friend and I made these, I had full intentions of eating a healthy breakfast.  Until I was completely distracted by this pumpkin roll, so I ate some of it instead.  Let me tell you, that was one delicious breakfast!! 

Looking at recipes online, I found that for the most part, they all seemed pretty similar.  So, we tried 2 different recipes:  same ingredients, 2 preparations.  One where you just mix all the ingredients in a bowl, and where where you don’t. 

Believe me when I say that it is TOTALLY worth it to spend the extra time to prepare this recipe.  So, that’s the recipe that I’m including.  You won’t be sorry.  This pumpkin roll is seriously good!! 

Pumpkin Roll from Taste of Home

3 eggs, separated

1 C sugar, divided

2/3 C canned pumpkin

3/4 C flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp cinnamon

pinch of salt

Filling:

8 oz cream cheese, softened (1 package)

2 Tlbsp butter, softened

1 C powdered sugar

3/4 tsp vanilla extract

  • Line a jelly roll pan (15”x10”x1”) with parchment paper.  Set aside. Preheat oven to 375 F
  • In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick.  Gradually add 1/2 C sugar and beat until lemony colored. 
  • Add pumpkin and beat on high until sugar is almost dissolved.
  • In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.  Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
  • Fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
  • Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl, then gently fold into the pumpkin/egg mixture. Spread into prepared pan.
  • Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes.
  • While cake is cooling, get another piece of parchment paper bigger than the cake, and dust it with powdered sugar. 
  • Flip the cake onto the powdered sugar parchment paper, and peel off the parchment paper that the cake was baked in. 
  • Roll up the cake, starting with the short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
  • In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
  • Once cake is cool, unroll the cake and spread filling evenly to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill until ready to eat.  Dust with powdered sugar if desired.

DSC_0672

I want to add this to the list of required Thanksgiving dishes this year!

p.s. Can you believe it’s only a week away?? Yeah, me either.

4 comments:

Cari said...

Wish I'd seen this before Thanksgiving! I love pumpkin rolls- this looks delish.

Mindi said...

I can't wait to make this! I'm going to make one your way (ok, I'm debating on subbing honey for sugar), and one gluten-free for my sister's bday on Sunday. I'll let you know how they turn out :)

David Lutz said...

This is a very good post .Thanks for letting us know some good tips . I like your many articles it will help not only me and also many people Try to share some ideas about how to use auto clicker in kitchen?

Abdul Kadir said...

The FIFA World Cup 2022 Schedule PDF download is starting shortly. Here you can check out the FIFA World Cup Squad list of all the team. And also you will get all the information and updates about FIFA World Cup 2022 at our website.