June 26, 2011

My Favorite Buttercream

I have always enjoyed frosting.  Especially buttercream.  I remember if there was ever left over frosting from something my mom made, I would sneak it later and eat as much as I dared with the hope that my mom wouldn’t notice. Pretty sure she always did.

When I started making my own, I would just get a little butter, dump a bunch of powdered sugar in, then add milk and mix until it was a good consistency.  Never the same, but decent enough.  I thought.  Then I came across this buttercream recipe in one of Martha’s Everyday Food magazines. and I haven’t looked back since.  This buttercream is delicious, I make it all the time.  Not only does it taste good, it is so versatile and the best part: easy to make!!

Buttercream Frosting

1/2 C (1 cube) butter room temp

1 1/2 C powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1-2 tblsp cream or milk (opt.)

  • cream the butter

DSC_0024

  • add the powdered sugar, 1/2 C at a time, mixing until it’s fully incorporated before adding more.buttercream

it doesn’t look like it will mix in right away, but just keep mixing and scraping the sides as needed, it will come together

  • once all the sugar is added, add the 1 tsp vanilla, then mix on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes

DSC_0048

This frosting is pretty thick as is, I like to use it like this for piping cupcakes.  But, if I’m going to frost a cake, I will add some cream (or milk) to get to a better spreading consistency. I also use this for frosting sugar cookies.  I’m telling you, this frosting is pretty much awesome.

This recipe doesn’t make a whole lot, but it’s so easy to double or even triple if you need a lot. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I want to make this buttercream to use on construction cake (exactly as yours)
Can I make it a few days ahead and how should I store it?
Thanks