June 7, 2011

Seedless Raspberry Jam

First off, I have a new page on Facebook!! search Fredellicious the page and ‘like’ it!DSC_0115As much as I love the flavor of raspberries, I have a hard time getting over the seeds.  There are so many!!  and they always get caught between my teeth.  I very much prefer anything raspberry to be seedless. (have you ever had Red Mango? They make delicious frozen yogurt, and their raspberry is one of my favorites… it’s seedless!!)

I also love freezer jam.  I remember growing up, one summer my mom made seedless raspberry jam.  and my whole family still has fond memories eating it.  Everyone was sad when the last jar was empty.  So, when I saw that raspberries were on sale at the local store for $.99 I knew I wanted to make some.  and you know what? It’s really easy!! slightly time consuming, but totally worth it!

Seedless Raspberry Jam (adapted from the Sure-Jell package)

1 package Sure-Jell Pectinunnamed

5 pints of fresh and ripe raspberries – to make 3 cups of raspberry sauce

5 1/4 C sugar

3/4 C water

  • Wash your raspberries. I did this in batches, 1-2 pints at a time.

  • Put a batch of the raspberries in a sieve or mesh strainer, and place that over a bowl (or pyrex measuring cup)DSC_0129 

  • Get a flexible but firm spatula and start mushing the raspberries through the sieve

    DSC_0131

  • Keep mushing and mushing, until all the raspberry goodness makes its way through the sieve

    DSC_0132

  • Repeat these steps until you have 3 cups of the raspberry sauce with no seeds in it.

  • Measure exactly 3 cups of the seedless raspberry sauce, and put in a bowl.

  • Stir in the 5 1/4 C exactly of sugar and let sit 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

  • While that is sitting, put 3/4 C water and sure-jell pectin in a small sauce pan, over medium-high heat

    DSC_0135

  • Stir all together and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute

    DSC_0137

  • Pour the pectin mixture into your bowl of raspberry/sugar mixture

    DSC_0139

  • Stir until all the pectin is mixed in.  Keep stirring until the sugar is dissolved. (to check this, rub a bit between your fingers, it should feel smooth, not grainy)

    DSC_0140

  • Pour into clean freezer safe containers – leave about 1/2” at top for expansion in the freezer

    DSC_0141

  • Let sit at room temperature for about 24 hours, until the jam is set.

    DSC_0142

  • After it’s set, it keeps for 3 weeks in the fridge, or up to a year in the freezer. 

This jam is delicious, bursting with fresh raspberry flavor, and no seeds to get in the way!! I especially love it on whole wheat toast. I hope you like it as much as I do!!

4 comments:

brittna said...

Lauren I love your blog!! You are so talented - I'm gonna have to try some of your recipes! yum

Lauren said...

thank you!! let me know which ones you try, and/or post pictures on the Fredellicious facebook page!

jitin said...

It was a tasty article.

2019 Rugby World Cup Schedule in Australian Standard Time

jitin said...

2019 Rugby World Cup Schedule in New Zealand Standard Time