October 12, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats

I love new seasonal foods.  and I’m pretty sure they are getting better and more creative every year.  Jet puffed marshmallows = some genius ideas!

So, when I saw a bag of pumpkin spice marshmallows a week or so ago, I got kind of excited.  I mean, pumpkin? Marshmallows?  and they smell so good, I knew I needed to buy them.  They even make my whole cupboard smell like fall!  I decided to make some pumpkin Krispie Treats!

DSC_0435

Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats from the back of the bag :)

1/4 C (1/2 stick) butter

1 10 oz bag Pumpkin Spice Marshmallows

6 C Rice Krispies

    • Melt the butter in a non-stick sauce pan over low heat.

    • Add marshmallows, and stir so they marshmallows are all coated with butter.

    • Continue stirring until the marshmallows are all melted.  (One time I got impatient and turned the heat up.  I don’t recommend it.  My treats were so crunchy, I could barely even cut them.)

    • Stir in the rice krispies. (I really like gooey treats, so I started with only 4 cups, but I ended up adding all six, and I thought they were perfect.)

    to make them into pumpkins:

    I used a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter, and pushed some of the treat mixture into it to form a pumpkin. 

    To make the face and stem, I used candy melts in disposable piping bags.  I love using candy melts this way, because when I’m all done, I just save the bag with the candy melts in it until the next time I need that color.  They harden, and then you just reheat when you need them, and you’re good to go! 

    I did some faces in black, and also in brown, so you can see which way you like better.  Which one do you prefer?

    DSC_0417

    DSC_0410

    or how about without a face?  For fall, instead of Halloween:

    DSC_0430

    I made some 3d pumpkins too.  Just roll some treat into a ball, smoosh it flat a little bit, and add a stem.  I used a mike n ike. 

    DSC_0421

    the small pumpkin is made with cocoa krispies, I wanted to try it.  I like normal better, but it was fun to try. 

    See how many options there are with these?  And the taste is the perfect fall twist to an old favorite!

    2 comments:

    Carmen said...

    SO CUTE! I love pumpkins and your current dedication to them!

    Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

    These are so cute! They would be perfect for a class party.