October 1, 2011

Candy Corn Cupcakes

So, it’s October.  That means that Halloween is almost here!  I think Halloween is one of my favorite holidays to decorate/make treats for.  The possibilities are endless!!  I especially love that you can pick if you want things to be creepy or cute, depending on your mood.
I decided to make my first Halloween treat with a candy corn theme.  I'm putting these in the cute category:DSC_0357
cute and simple.  But wait, there’s more:
DSC_0368
Since the inside is filled with frosting, I just wanted a little bit on top.  I love how these turned out.  And it’s easier than it looks, I promise.

Chocolate Cupcakes makes about 12 from OurBestBites

note: I’m not against box mixes at all, but this technique needs something more dense.  I do not recommend a box for these.

1 C Flour

1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder

3/4 t baking soda

1/4 t salt

1/2 C granulated sugar

1/2 C firmly packed brown sugar

4 T unsalted butter, room temperature

1 large egg, room temperature

1 t vanilla extract

1/2 C lukewarm water

1/4 C buttermilk

  • Preheat oven to 350. Line standard muffin tin with liners.
  • Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
  • Beat the sugars and butter together until light and fluffy.
  • Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
  • Add the flour mixture alternating with the water and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour.
  • Mix to combine on low speed between each addition, scraping the bowl as needed.
  • Divide evenly into muffin tin and bake 15-18 minutes until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  • Let cool for 5 minutes in pan, then remove and let them cool on a rack.

Candy Corn Filling inspired from The Sugar Turntable

Buttercream frosting

Gel food coloring: Orange and Yellow (I recommend Americolor)

Piping or ziplock bags

long thin knife (I think I used a ‘tomato knife’)

  • While the cupcakes are cooling, make the buttercream, then separate into 3 bowls.  Color one bowl yellow, one bowl orange, and leave one white. Then put into piping bags.  (I frequently use freezer ziplock bags with a small corner cut off.)
  • Once completely cool, unwrap a cupcake and flip it over.  Insert the knife at an angle near the edge, so the point goes to the middle:DSC_0348
  • Cut around the outside of the cupcake, keeping the point of the knife in the middle, to make a cone shape cut out:DSC_0350 
  • Fill the middle of the cupcake in layers, starting with white, then orange, then yellow
 candy corn cupcakes
  • Cut the triangle of the cone off, so that you only have a flat bottom of the cupcake:DSC_0356
  • Place the flat piece of cupcake back in the bottom to hold the frosting in. 
  • Chill cupcakes until ready to eat: this will help the colors stay layered while eating/cutting.
candy corn cupcakes1
Happy October!!
I'm also linking up to a blog that is sharing all kinds of seasonal inspiration! Go check it out!

4 comments:

Chef in Training said...

oh my gosh! These are so cool! Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower from the Something Swanky Blog hop! I would love for you to come check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/b

Ellen Zames said...

These really are very cool cupcakes! What a great idea, I love it! I'm your newest follower and would love for you to come by and follow us too. Also we have a pumpkin linky party going on this week so feel free to link up any pumpkin recipes you would like! I hope you see you there and I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

Ellen

http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

crystal said...

adorable! That is really cute! I'm going to share it on my facebook page!

new follower! Stop by if you have the time! http://etsyscavengerhunt.blogspot.com/

Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos said...

These are fabulous! We are featuring these tomorrow at our Seasonal Inspiration party. Hope to see you again soon!